Saturday, July 17, 2010

Christianity is Boring

Warning: This post may cause hyperventilation, nausea, or controversy. Readers, Be advised.

Last Night, I was up watching the late night news, and they were showing a segment called, "Faith Matters". I think the producers or writers (or whoever the guy is that makes the titles) was a little confused. Because the segment was about atheists. According to my knowledge, atheists, they don't believe in any god. Therefore they don't have a faith.  ???  So I'm calling it (edit) : Faith Matters, if you have one.

In this segment, they were interviewing a prominent leader of the atheist movement along with some of his followers. They claim that anyone of faith is imposing on the rights of those who don't have a faith. The leader goes around "de-baptizting" people from a faith they never believed in. While being "de-baptized", the believers in non-belief try to blaspheme any religion that they were ever exposed to. One woman states, with a huge grin on her face, after being de-baptized,  "The difference between us and believers is that we know how to have fun with what we believe, while believers take everything seriously."

Note: I am a Christian. Therefore everything I state will be from a Christian standpoint.

Ok, seriously?? If there is anybody who knows how to have fun, it is us Christians. This reminds me of my years attending a Christian college. It was sophomore year to be exact. The campus had scheduled a blackout to repair a power glitch. Now, think about how much fun a bunch of Christian college students could have during a blackout...I'll spare you the details.

I digress. The question I have is this: Who's says seriousness and fun have to be mutually exclusive? It is very possible to have fun and be serious at the same time. How many of you go to work all the time and have fun? Okay bad rhetorical question. But do you see what I mean?... Okay another bad rhetorical question. Let's try again.  Have you ever played on a sports team? (If not, just pretend. It's the best I can do right now!) The whole goal of the team is to win the game. So, you work really hard  in practice to win.  This is also known as being serious. You go out to play the game, and you lose. Most people will still come away from the sport saying they had fun playing the game.

In all honesty, I have never felt pressure to be serious in my faith. But, I do believe in right and wrong. And if atheists are being honest with themselves,even they believe in a moral code. Every man acts upon what is right or wrong. I believe that God is the creator of that moral code. Therefore, I act on what He has commanded mankind to do. I also call that moral code: His commandments. Just like I were on sport team, I'm going to work as hard as I can to live the life God has called me to. In some people's perspective that is called "being serious." On the other hand, God gives us free will to make our own decisions, to live life, to have fun. Daily I enjoy my life with no regrets of being a Christian.

It's unfortunate that people misunderstand Christianity. I can only pray that my lifestyle will lead others to Christ.

-Dirty Lenses

No comments:

Post a Comment