Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cigarettes and Cellphones

Even though there are so many great things money can buy, can you imagine hating money? I'm sure there are thousands of Americans who hate money right now. Why? Because they don't have it, yet, daily they are forced to live off it. My younger brother is in a similar situation. He recently moved here to pursue a new life. To completely start over. However, starting over means finding a new job. In the last 2 weeks, he's had 3 interviews and turned in 15 applications with no job. Hard pressed for money, he decided to donate plasma to earn a little bit of cash.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I happened to glance through the glass and notice that the entire facility was filled with people. Literally, standing room only. Immediately, my mind began to race, 'Is this really a normal thing? People, really do this?' Expecting to wait a while, I popped in my book on cd and tried to read while my brother was inside. Unfortunately, every time I tried to focus on the book, something new about this facility caught my eye. The front entrance creaked every time the door opened, notifying me that there was another intriguing person emerging from the facility. I studied each person as they stepped out. There seemed to be this recurring pattern among the general population. Many appeared to be lower-income citizens who had devoted the entire day to earning their small wage. Many carried a cane and an umbrella in one hand, and a bottle of Gatorade in the other. The regulars (as my brother referred to them) knew that they were going to feel weak and light-headed. Therefore, they brought supplements to maintain their strength and composure as they prepared for their trek home.

There was one pattern struck me as odd as I continued to watch. I probably saw about 40 people step outside of the building, but none of them left. As soon as the door to the front entrance closed, one would reach into his or her pocket to take out cigarette. Many didn't have a cigarette but had no problem bumming one from another person. I kept watching as the same people would walk into the building and then 5 minutes later walk out to smoke. My curiosity made me wonder, 'what is causing these people to smoke so much?' I noticed how many fidgeted with their hands or lighter while pacing back and forth. It was like they were worried about something. But what were they worried about? I thought, 'I guess the needle must be pretty big' Then, I saw the answer.

From the back exit, a tall slender woman with short, matted hair and slightly ripped jeans departed the building. As she walked out, she folded up sixty dollars and carried it as if it were pure gold. Her eyes were bright as tears rolled down her cheeks. She looked like she hadn't received a penny for years. I could feel my own tears well as I read her face. A face that displayed an elongated time of heartache, and restlessness. The joy that was flooding out of her pores seemed to wash away all of her pain into the concrete she walked on.

My eyes left her and went back to the group standing by the front entrance. About half were smoking nervously while the other half was smoking while on their cell phone. As time passed, anger and confusion overwhelmed me. I couldn't help but to wonder: What has driven these people to smoking? Why are they wasting their money? They have cellphones? WHY? They could save so much money by not having cigarettes or cellphones! I watched as the addiction gripped people as they smoked nearly a pack of cigarrettes in an entire hour. I forced myself to understand, that many smoke to cope with life. Many have come to believe that life is un-livable without a cellphone.

I left the facility heartbroken. I really wanted to help but I wasn't sure how. I prayed. And though it was hard for me to grasp that God already knew about each person's situation in that facility, I know He'll always be with them.

1 comment:

  1. As always, babe, your observation and compassion are great!

    Thanks for caring enough to watch and pray for others around you!

    ReplyDelete